Weaving my walks!

My latest creative project: weaving my walks

I have only completed one woven map so far, and none on my loom - but I have started!

My first one was my creation for the 52Frames 'material' challenge earlier this year, that sort of accidentally evolved to represent a map of Boxmoor where I had foraged some long grasses and dandelions. I had intended to make small baskets with them, but they became incorporated into my weaving.

Scroll down for 6 more collages of my sketchbook journal maps.
They were drawn purely for my own memories, but I love that I have this art resource now

So here I am with a plan to make a series of woven maps and landscapes, to display and maybe sell, at Herts Open Studios in September and October - and to demonstrate making more!

I've learned a few 'official' stitches and techniques, discovered that some of my inventions had already been invented by other people - most importantly, I've found it's engrossing and fun!

OK, so when I tell people I'm weaving with dandelions every single person thinks I've lost it, but I don;t care! I do need to answer the question those people ask me: Why am I doing it?

In my 2020 journal I drew all sorts of things from the fun to the mundane. I drew maps and views of some of my walking routes and that's what is my inspiration - the shapes are great and are so full of life and memories. At first, I intended to make abstract paintings or collages but, for now, it seems this new-to-me craft has taken the reins!

Watch this space!









Comments

Popular Posts