Melted Crayon Art

I have to say at the outset that this is not my idea - it is all over Pinterest and other crafty sites.











Most people line their crayons up very carefully in a straight line but my daughter wanted something more 'free' so ours is quite random.



We also decided not to let all the colours run off the canvas so the finished piece is more minimal than most.

I am hooked and want another go!



This is a great project to do with your children (over 8 I think). You get to use a hot glue gun and hot air - either from a hair-drier or hot air gun which is fun for all of us. I did this very much as a joint project with my daughter, sharing the creative decisions was really good, and very interesting for me as I curbed my artistic control tendencies!






What you need:




  • Crayons

  • Good glue (I used a hot glue gun)

  • Hot air (hair drier or hot air gun)

  • Canvas

  • Splatter mat or newspaper






What to do:




  • Cover the floor with the newspaper - there will be splatters and dripping wax

  • Line up the crayons along the top edge of your canvas and experiment with how you order the colours

  • Glue the crayons in place

  • Support the canvas at an angle with an easel if you have one or just prop it up against the wall

  • gradually heat the crayons til they start to sweat and then work on a few crayons at time as they start to drip

  • Enjoy yourselves! The moment the crayons start to drip is ridiculously fun :-)




















Next time I will use more colours and pack them in more closely, I will also melt more of the wax and fill the canvas with more colour.

After more experimenting I intend to stick to a smaller range of colours and also make more deliberate pictures like these:







Source: i.imgur.com via Vuka on Pinterest











And it looks amazing on black!





Comments

Popular Posts